Italian Cookery Course recipe : Parmigiana di Melanzane
Originating in Central Italy , Parmigiana di Melanzane makes a wonderfully simple richly flavoured dish that like many things taste better the longer you leave all the ingredients to mingle and soak up the juices .
1 finely chopped medium onion
½ bulb of finely chopped garlic
2 x 400g cans of plum tomatoes
150g buffalo mozzarella
1 tsp (heaped) dried oregano
4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
3 large handfuls of grated parmesan
1 large handful of fresh basil
2 handfuls of dried breadcrumbs
- Remove the aubergine stalks and slice pretty thickly. Pre-heat griddle pan to a high temperature.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add onion, garlic and dried oregano and stir for 10 minutes until onion is soft.
- Break up tinned tomatoes and add them to the saucepan. Stir them into the onion, garlic and oregano, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Grill the aubergine on the griddle pan, heating both sides, then set to one side.
- Once the tomatoes have reduced, season well with salt and pepper, add a dash of wine vinegar and the basil.
- Take an oven dish and begin to layer the parmigiana di melanzane. First, put a layer of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish, then cover with a thin layer of parmesan and then a single later of aubergines. Repeat the process until you have used all the ingredients, finishing with a good sprinkling of parmesan on top.
- Drizzle the breadcrumbs in the extra virgin olive oil and add them to the top of the dish, along with the fresh oregano, the roughly torn up mozzarella and a more parmesan !
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 190ºC,
Leave to rest and let the juices soak in for rich wonderful favours . Makes a great supper too !
Why not check out our other Italian cookery course recipes
This recipe is an example of what to expect on a Taste Trails Rome authentic Italian Cookery course. What we cook in the lessons depends on the time of the year and what is in season . We try and use only fresh , local and if possible organic ingredients .